Thursday 14 November 2019

CMI / John SIOTAS

It has been a great summer, with a successfull campaign at the Junior Track Worlds, with gold and silver medals for our New Zealand team in Frankfurt an der Oder. And great Tours with CMI to Belarus and Kosovo, Meeting some great girls in Czech Feminin Tour with Mike Greer Homes Cycling Team.
Was also lucky enough to be part of the last road campaign of Drapac Development Team.
The red/white team of Michael Drapac and Agostino Giramondo will no longer be seen in 2020.
At the moment we work at the Gent 6day race with U23 team Michael Steyaert and Siebe Deweirdt.


And the future looks bright too for next season, as per first of January 2020 I will be Sport Director of the new Euro Cycling Trips - C.M.I. Pro Cycling Team. This continental team has a Guam licence, which is an island in Micronesia. Lieve, will be soignee/assistent DS too.
Our riders will be, Simeon Green, Robert Orr (GBR), Guillaume Duverger, Thomas Peyroton, Guillaume Soula (FRA), Matias Fitzwater (NZL), James Mowatt (AUS), Gorgi Popstefanov (MKD),
Lars Pria (ROU), Derek Horton, Peter Lombard, Jonathan Martin, Dan Aponik (GUM).
Bring on the new season.




Coffee and bikes, well next week we go back on the road for new coffee shops in Gent. But in the meantime I have the intension to talk about some (former) pro cyclist that came across my path over the years. And as you probably already know is that I rolled in to cycling thanks to my good friend Gary Wiggins (1952-2008). But the very first pro rider that actually stayed at my place was the Australian John Siotas.

JOHN SIOTAS
John was born in Athens, Greece 12 October 1957, 

1981 individual
1982 individual
1983 Ramon Cycles - Nissan
1984 Ramon Cycles
1985 Rare Spares
1986 Rare Spares - Mobil
1987 Rare Spares - Mobil and Gold Seal
1988 Gold Seal
1989 individual
1990 individual
1991 Cicli Monti

A morning in March 1985, my mother rang Johan De Moor's phone, as I lived on the same block of land as Johan, to tell me that an Australian guy arrived at Gent railway station and was waiting there for me. Who? donnu, why? donnu. Ok will have a look. I jumped in my car and found a guy with a bike in the station. Must be him. 
Hi my name is John Siotas and I got your number of Gary Wiggins. O I see!

Ye I come here to race and Gary told me I could stay with you. Ah well suppose that will be the deal then. So he stayed few months to ride "kermesses".
On one of the kermesses, people tought sometimes that I had Claude Criquielion in my car. And yes he looked a bit like Claudy.
Another day Gary and I tought, we should take him out for dinner to a Greek restaurant, we tought this would be something special after being born in Greece. So we did take him to a famous Greek place in town. And after the meal we asked him if he liked it. His answer: I eat this food everyday from mums kitchen in Australia. Bugger!
He never won any race of importance. He returned one more time to Belgium to ride again, some "kermesses" in 1991.

 
pictures,
1) Gent 6 with Michael and Siebe
2) Simeon Green
3) John Siotas (1985 at Voordries in Gentbrugge)
4) John Siotas (postcard Jos Van Hamel)






No comments:

Post a Comment