Monday 10 December 2018

ZIZA DELICE

A beautiful monday morning in december. Sun is out but pretty cold. On the bike to Gent and just crossing the Christmas market aka Winter Festival. Not one single stall could convince me to drink a coffee. Suddenly I tought about a place, nearby, I saw last week. Not really a coffee house, but a Moroccon tea house. I am sure they serve coffee too.
Salaam aleikum, Arabic for hello. The girl is reading a book as the place is empty. It is actually more a combination of a Ghoriba shop and a small tea room, maximum 10 seats.

In the background some good modern North African music. Aziza gives us the time to look around. In the meantime we find out where the name of the shop comes from too, it is the girl's name minus the A she explains. Her roots are in the north of Morocco, in the neighbourhood of Nador.
Traditional Maroccon clothing is decorated on dolls in the back of the room. Colorfull.
The counter is full of Ghoriba (Moroccon cookies). They all look very delicous.


As we finally order, Lieve gets the traditional mint tea, prepared at Aziza's mother's way. Just a little bit less sugar. Moroccon people drink it with tons of sugar, sweeter than we do, except me, lol. I love mint tea as sweet as possible. But I order a cappuccino, made by Douwe Egberts. We both want to try some cookies too because we just can't resist.
Lieve gets a M'louza (almond biscuit), I prefer a Briwat (a cookie where the honey syrup runs out).
Everything is nicely served on the small tables.
We chat away about Morocco and I must admit that this place is different to all other coffee shops, I will come back here.
Maybe to try the Moroccon pancakes!



ZIZA DELICE - Sint Niklaasstraat 23 - 9000 Gent 
closed on Sunday

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Shopping---Retail/Ziza




1 comment:

  1. Idd, the place to be for cookies and coffee! Ziza delice !

    ReplyDelete